發新話題
打印

2017 ITTF World Junior Championships

2017 ITTF World Junior Championships

Reliving the memories of Riva del Garda, Truls Moregard reflects on stunning campaign
11 Jan 2018

Truls Moregard caused a major shock in Riva del Garda last month, defying the odds at the 2017 ITTF World Junior Championships to finish in the runner up position in the Boys’ Singles event and the young Swedish table tennis revelation has taken the time to look back at his outstanding achievement at the tournament.

Swedish wonder kid Truls Moregard earned a silver medal for his efforts in Riva del Garda (Photo: Remy Gros)
by Simon Daish

Not since the 2008 edition of the World Junior Championships had a European competitor featured in the Boys’ Singles final with Englishman Paul Drinkhall coming away with a silver medal finish in Madrid, but almost a decade later Truls Moregard brought the continent’s disappointing run to an end with an amazing outing in Riva del Garda.

“My ultimate goal was to play at the highest level or play my own game because I know that I can defeat most players in the world in the youth field. When I reached the final, I was very excited. It was a great feeling to be one of the two best youth players in the world and confirmation that all the hard work in training had paid off.” Truls Moregard.
Beginning his campaign in the qualification stages of the competition, Moregard did well to book a place in the last eight of the Boy’s Singles draw but the 15-year-old star was hungry for more success and went on to far outperform expectations.

Fantastic displays at the quarter-finals and semi-finals stages of the event Moregard accounted for Xu Haidong and Niu Guankai, seeded seventh and third respectively an example, the Swedish representative says, highlights that the top Chinese players can be beaten.

“I try to keep the saying: “Respect everyone – fear no one.” The Chinese players are very good, but they are only human. I know that I have a strong game, and if I can play at my maximum, I have a good chance of winning against anyone.” Truls Moregard.
Top seed Xue Fei proved to be one step too far for Moregard, but despite missing out on the top step of the podium in Riva del Garda the young Swede can press on with plenty of confidence in his game and is hoping to reach even greater heights in the future.

“… I now concentrate on my table tennis to become a professional. My big, long-term goal is to become number one in the world and win the Champions League with my club Eslov AI.” Truls Moregard.
Source: myTischtennis

發新話題