發新話題
打印

2014 ITTF World Cadet Challenge - Lee Ka Yee Seizes Opportunity

2014 ITTF World Cadet Challenge - Lee Ka Yee Seizes Opportunity

Second place in her group, beaten by Daria Trigolos of Belarus, the eighth seed; Hong Kong’s Lee Ka Yee was the player to upset the seeding in the first round of the Girls’ Singles event at the ITTF Cadet Challenge in Bridgetown, Barbados on Friday 21st October.

Occupying the no.9 seeded position in the draw, she accounted for Brazil’s Bruna Takahashi, the no.3 seed (16-14, 11-4, 11-8, 12-14, 11-9).

In so doing, she became the only player, who had not finished in first place in the group stage to reach the round of the last eight.

Brink of Upset
One day earlier when facing Daria Trigolos it appeared she may well cause an upset; she led by two games to nil before losing the next three (6-11, 9-11, 11-3, 11-9, 11-7).

Against Bruna Takahashi, after winning the first three games and then losing the fourth; one wondered if the same may happen again.

“I never thought about yesterday’s match at all”, said Lee Ka Yee who is one of the youngest players in action in the Sir Garfield Sobers Sports Complex, she is 12 years old. “It was the first time I’d actually played Bruna in a competition but I had practised against her, so I knew how she played.”

Ended in Net
A top spin attacking player, Bruna Takahashi is notably strong from the backhand but against Lee Ka Yee it was not flowing as in the fashion of the previous day.

“The backhand kept going in the net”, sighed Bruna Takahashi. “I had some problems returning her services; I just tried to play my game and I tried to play more towards her forehand.”

Strong Opponent
Undoubtedly the close first game was crucial; winning by the narrow margin added confidence the mind of Lee Ka Yee.

“Today my block was not so good; her service was good and she attacks well after the service”, added Lee Ka Yee. “Before the match I was a little nervous but I told myself that I had nothing to lose and I should just try to do my best.”

Crystal Wang Books Last Eight Place
Success for Lee Ka Yee who is one of two surprise names to reach the second round of the Girls’ Singles event, the other is Crystal Wang of the United States, the no.10 seed.

The victor one day earlier over Puerto Rico’s Adriana Diaz, the no.6 seed (17-15, 11-13, 11-4, 7-11, 13-11), the American maintained her form to record an opening round success against Thailand’s Nanapat Kola (11-7, 5-11, 11-8, 9-11, 11-1, 11-7), a member of the World Hopes Team.

First Place in Group
Success for Lee Ka Yee and there was success for the players who like Crystal Wang and Bruna Takahashi who had secured first places in their respective group.

Japan’s Mima Ito, the top seed, accounted for Adriana Diaz (11-9, 12-10, 11-6, 11-8), Romania’s Adina Diaconu, the no.2 seed, defeated India’s Archana Kamath (11-7, 11-13, 11-5, 13-11, 11-7); whilst Korea’s Kim Jiho, the no.4 seed, defeated New Zealand’s Ruofei Rao (11-4, 11-7, 11-7, 11-3).

Similarly, Belgium’s Lisa Lung, the no.5 seed, overcame Peru’s Grecia Loayza (11-8, 11-4, 11-7, 11-3), Russia’s Maria Taylakova, the no.7 seed, beat El Salvador’s Gabriela Suarez (11-8, 11-2, 16-14, 11-7); Daria Trigolos of Belarus ended the progress of Egypt’s Sarah Abousetta (11-8, 11-2, 16-14, 11-7).

Quarter-Finals
At the quarter-final stage Mima Ito meets Maria Taylakova, Lisa Lung opposes Lee Ka Yee; on the opposite half of the draw it is Kim Jiho in opposition to Daria Trigolos and Crystal Wang in opposition to Adina Siaconu.

Girls' Doubles
Meanwhile, in the Girls’ Doubles event the top four seeded partnerships all reached the penultimate round.

In the semi-finals Mima Ito ans Kim Jiho meet Maria Taylokova and Daria Trigolos; Adriana Diaz and Bruna Takahashi face Adina Diaconu and Lisa Lung.

Article by: ITTF-Ian Marshall

Photo By: Deanzer Roberts

發新話題